Friday, June 7, 2013

38 Birthday Pledges, Wishes and Resolutions

Since my 38th birthday is now over and I did nothing but sleep all day and watch TV in celebration, I figured I'd do something constructive today.  So I wrote the following and, from now on, it shall be used as my mission statement that I will follow for as long as it and I shall live.



My Mission:
I, Douglas W. Salvador, now blogging and trying out a music career under the moniker Derk Jickface, know that I am not perfect, nor will ever be.  So being of soundish mind and out of shape body, I almost solemnly swear to uphold the following resolutions as best as humanly possible. And I promise with my utmost promise-keeping abilities, to try to strictly adhere to the following list of 38 statements even though it'll be impossible.
  1. I will always search for the truth for it will set me free supposedly 
  2. I will not judge for it sucks being judged 
  3. I will always help those who can convince me that I can help them 
  4. I will not lie unless the truth means jail time 
  5. I will not be self destructive in my behavior or judge others of theirs unless I decide to study law and eventually become a judge 
  6. I will not give excuses to those who always have one 
  7. I will not give up on purpose 
  8. I will not judge a book until I start reading books again
  9. I will not study law to become a judge 
  10. I will not put anyone else down in order to elevate myself or social status unless it will increase my web hits 
  11. I will not be innocuous when being offensive works better for comedic purposes and shit 
  12. I will not dumb down anything for the dumb nor will I close anything for the close minded 
  13. I will not feel the need to correct everyone all the time even when they are full of shit and think they know everything 
  14. I will sometimes judge a book by it's cover since a book can't judge back
  15. I will be passionate in my convictions 
  16. I will be open minded to the beliefs and feelings of others 
  17. I will treat others as I would like to be treated unless I am told that what I like is fucking crazy 
  18. I will try to remain silent when I know my opinion isn't worth a damn 
  19. I will always give my best in all things except that which I shouldn't be doing 
  20. I will live by example yet will never figure out the equation 
  21. I will remain calm and level headed if goaded into a conflict
  22. I will disperse only if asked with the word "please" 
  23. I will not embellish when the truth will do the job
  24. I will never again maintain a job where it requires that I act my age
  25. I am only as old as the number of times I've rotated around the sun
  26. I will always be willing to learn that which I don't already know 
  27. I will be moderate in all things when practicing everything in moderation 
  28. I will not use obvious statements just to sound smart or use them to fill up blog posts
  29. I will not obsess over something that has little to do with anything
  30. I will learn what the things are that have little to do with anything
  31. I will remember that I am but a cog in the machine of life and often need maintenance
  32. I will not forget that we are all connected somehow in some way
  33. I will prolly call the police on those who trespass against my apartment
  34. I will prolly use "prolly" the majority of the time instead of "probably" when texting
  35. I will not answer in the form of a question
  36. I will eventually figure out my purpose 
  37. I will rock the shit out this 
  38. I will never quit